Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Kadence's 8th Birthday!

To say Kadence had a memorable 8th birthday would be quite an understatement.  She had a fabulous and eventful day.  We started by getting her nice and clean and doing her hair and letting her pick the perfect outfit. I then had to get a picture and she wanted to put 8 fingers up and make a silly face.
 She spent the afternoon learning how to use her new pocket knife.  Her first project was to carve a smiley face into soap.
 Then she carved her initial
 Our sweet neighbor Ashley made Kadence a cake which we all loved!
 The girls always get to pick a dinner to have with the Joy side of the family.  Kadence chose to have "hamburgers, hot dogs, grapes and strawberries" I added in chips and had her pick popsicles to make it a little more of a complete meal.
 David and I told Kadence that her baptism dress, scriptures, jewelry, etc were all she was getting for her birthday.  We then surprised her with a big gift.  I put clues on it to drive her crazy all day, but she actually guessed it right away.....and then kept guessing throughout the day.

 Jason, Nikelle, Brylee, Jeffy, Grandma Joy, Grandma Neal, Sarah, Sherri, Ashley and Breanne all made it up to celebrate with her. 

 She of course used her own pocket knife to open her gift.
 It was a picture of a rainbow over the Logan temple.  It is something I drove past on my way to pick her up from dance last fall. I was dying because I didn't have time to snap a quick picture with my phone.  I found that a professional photographer in Logan had captured it and it was gorgeous.  We ordered a canvas because this meshed both of her favorite primary songs into one picture. It now hangs above her bed.



 After dinner we went outside to light some parachutes.  

 Shelby loved running to try to catch them, but Kadence can't run so she had Jeffy help her find the fallen parachute.
 This is what their feet looked like after.
 After parachutes we logically moved to launching rockets the girls made with David.
 The grandmas even came out to watch all of the shenanigans. 
(But would both kill me if they knew I took their picture)


 Then we took to riding bikes, scooters, skateboards and longboards while we waiting for dusk so we could start fireworks.

 Ashley, Chloe and Naomi joined us for fireworks.
 After a few smoke bombs stained the cement we went down to the end of our housing unit.









 I decided that I wanted to get neat "firework" pictures.


 Everything was going GREAT until this firework below.  It was an aerial.  I captured the first shot and then leaned back to where I was almost laying down to try to get the whole thing in one shot....
 Because I was laying back I didn't really comprehend what was going on.  I took a picture, heard "it hit me!" and then everyone was scattering.  I then hurried and looked at the kids whom were all fine and turned around....
 To this.....
 We called 911 and Logan Fire responded quickly and got to work.  The sheriff told me that "next time we light an aerial we need to put bricks against it so it won't tip." Ummm....there won't be a next time! All the nearby houses were saved, there was very minimal damage done and Jeff was the only one who got hurt and it was pretty minor.  When the aerial tipped, it sent one straight into his neck causing a lot of bruising and a burn.  Overall it could have been much much worse. Since it wasn't we all took a bunch of pictures.  :)




  One of the firefighters was so sweet to take a picture with my girls.  He even let Kadence wear his hat and Shelby hold his shovel.
It was memorable to say the least and I'm so glad everyone was ok.  I can't believe Kadence is 8.  Every year that they get older I can't believe they are older.  I'm happy to be able to watch them as they grow because they are growing into two fabulous kids.  Each new age is a new experience and is not better or worse than the last.  I love you to pieces Kadence and I'm so happy you are such a strong girl and have made the choice to live since you were born!

No comments:

Post a Comment