Sunday, February 17, 2013

Things that must go....

Parents who ignore their kids because they are so busy on their electronics must go.  It drives me absolutely crazy to watch as a young child (Or an older one) is ignored while mom or dad is busy texting, facebooking, etc.  Are you kidding me?! These kids are only little once!  You only get time with them at this age once! I couldn't imagine what text or facebook post could be SO important that it couldn't wait a few minutes.....a few hours.....or a few days.  There is nothing that should come in the way of you paying attention to your children.  What they say is important, or at least it is important to them so you should listen.  I think kids would be better off if none of us had electronics.  Now I know that isn't going to happen and I enjoy my ipad, my cell phone, etc BUT everyone should learn when to put it down. 

Dads who would rather "play" than spend time with their families must go.  I think everyone needs time away for sure, but I have come across a few dads who put their own things above anything their family might have going.  David goes fishing without us, camping without us and hiking without us.  That is his "alone time." I go to lunch, go to lunch, and go to lunch without my family as my "alone time." Everyone needs it.  BUT too often we see dads (and sometimes moms) with their own agendas.  It's just sad.  David and I are under no illusion that our kids will want to spend every minute with us as they grow up.  Soon they might want nothing to do with us.  They might be embarrassed to be seen with us. It is then that we will have more time to ourselves.  Until then, we will spend time making memories with our kids.  From hiking, to walking around the block, to making dinner together, to movie nights we want our kids to grow up with us very present in their lives.  It just blows my mind that others don't feel the same way.  Kids are hilarious and say and do some of the strangest things.  Its pure entertainment to spend the evening with my girls!

The snow and 30 degree highs must go.  I am SO ready for Spring.  I don't think it can get here fast enough.  I am excited to see if I can handle easy hikes this year.  I'm excited for camping, picnics, playdates at the park, kites, etc.  I am excited to go without a coat and feel a little breeze on my arms.  The girls and I are counting down the days until Spring and I hope that when it gets here its a little warmer than it is now.  I'm not asking for much, just mid 40's would be fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment