Monday, September 21, 2009

On the mend

Kadence had her tonsils out on Friday and it went pretty well. Before any surgery or procedure where you will get anesthesia, you of course have to fast. Normally Kadence does really well, but this time was the exception. She woke up at 12:30 and cried and cried.....and cried. She slept off and on, but mommy didn't get more than an hour of sleep.

We arrived at the hospital, and I haven't ever seen anybody have such a hard time figuring out her name. From check-in to nurse to nurse, it seemed like her name changed. Of course we got Joy as her first name but I am used to that. We also got E as her first name. I don't understand why they didn't know that that was her middle initial and was getting frustrated. The anesthesiologist came to talk to us and he made me feel very very comfortable. I hate that you can choose your Dr, but not your anesthesiologist. I think both are equally important and I love that this one made Kadence, David and I feel comfortable. They took her back and Kadence didn't even cry! She did tell the nurse all about how if she was brave she would get a present though, so I think the bribe worked very well.

David and I ran to eat while she was in surgery because we were starving. I hate leaving her because I always feel like something will go wrong once I leave. I made David shovel it in so we could rush back to the waiting room. The surgery only took about 20 minutes and the Dr said it couldn't have gone any better. He said her tonsils were huge and her throat is tiny. He also said that her adenoids had so much tissue attached to them that he thinks she couldn't breath very well because of it.

Kadence got back to the room and watched her new movie (her bribe) and ate a popsicle. She didn't eat very much and was restless. She told me she needed to go potty and I was very surprised to see that she wasn't wet. After the anesthesia, I was sure she would have an accident so I put a pull up on her just in case. I think that is the true test and feel I can now say she is officially potty trained. After the two hours of observation had passed, we asked her if she was ready to home. She said, "No, I'll stay." The nurses thought that was so funny. We told her that when we got home, grandpa and grandma would come visit she rushed out the door without us.

Kadence did really well the first night except for a few minor breakdowns and slept well most of the night. Since then, it has been a little more rough. I had to sleep with her in the recliner the second night and we have been fighting with her to get her to eat or drink anything. I usually can trick her into anything, but nothing is working this time. She is still urinating, so she must be drinking enough. I just worry she will get dehydrated.

Today her mood is a little better although she still isn't eating or drinking much. She has played a little more and told me she wants to go on a walk and also wants to blow bubbles with daddy when he gets home. She also woke up without a fever which she has had since the surgery. I hope this means she is on the mend, because it is breaking my heart to see her so sick. (Not to mention I am falling way behind in school.) Nap didn't go well today, and she ended up needing to rock with me in the recliner instead. I will keep everyone updated and hopefully next blog will have a much happier Kadence in it.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a great mom! I forgot that it was her tonsils. I thought maybe it was surgery having something to do with her back. She is SUCH a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete