Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Davids Boo Boo *GRAPHIC*

So yesterday while I was helping in Kadences classroom I received a call from David. He told me that he cut the end of his finger with a paper cutter at work. I collected the papers I was cutting at the time for Kadences class and headed out to be with him. Luckily Kadence's teacher is also our Aunt and was willing to keep both girls as long as she needed. (I'm SO grateful for that!) After being confused about where I was supposed to go, I finally arrived at Workmed. David was a little behind me. (The school cop drove him) We arrived and they got us RIGHT back to a room so he could lay down. The looked at him and decided they needed an xray because David thought he had gone through the bone. We could hear him stitching up the guy next to us, who happened to fall off a roof and opened his face pretty good as well as his arm. (GROSS) David was in quite a bit of pain, and all workmed is allowed to give is ibuprofen. David can't have ibuprofen because of his stomach, he had to just manage without anything. (I felt TERRIBLE!) After the xray the dr confirmed that David did indeed go straight through the bone, but that the piece on the other side was small. He wasn't sure what to do and sent us to the ER. (After a pee test of course) The ER did another xray and found the same thing. The piece of bone he cut off was too small to pin so the dr figured they'd just sew it up as well as they could hoping to leave David with a normal-ish looking thumb. Now here comes the graphic pictures....


Sort of self explanatory, but this is his hurt thumb

It cut the bottom part of his thumb, but it also cut almost through quite a bit more of his thumb
Thumbs up!

Here's the thumb unwrapped. You can see how he has thumbnail on either side of the cut.

Here they are cleaning out the blood clots and gauze fragments. Still have nail on each side of the Q-tip...Super gross!

Still cleaning but this is the angle from the tip of his finger

Cleaning it out...

Here's his thumb all cleaned and ready to be stitched.

Here it is after the stitches. 5 inside and 15 outside

After this picture they actually cut a piece of foil to the shape of his nail and put the foil in his nail bed. This will hopefully make it so that he can grow a new fingernail. All in all it was disgusting to watch. I felt terrible for him because he was in so much pain. Luckily the ER was able to give him pain meds and they numbed the whole thumb with a shot. He still hasn't been in much pain at all and can mostly only feel pressure. Now we just wait. Anytime you cut bone you are at an added risk of infection so they have him on antibiotics (also gave him some in his IV) and we will follow up with a hand surgeon on Friday. The hand surgeon will check for infection and will give his advice on the healing process.


David is such a stubborn guy that he insisted on going to work today. Not only that, but I didn't realize that his car was still at work and so he rode his bike. Not that I wouldn't have driven him, he simply didn't tell me. (UGH!) Kadence was already on her way to school, Shelby and I were both awake YET he rode his bike! I think I'm going to kill him before he heals!

No comments:

Post a Comment