Sunday, March 17, 2013

Things That Must GO...

1- People on their electronic devices at church.  (Other than for scripture reference)  I understand that electronics have become a very important part of many peoples lives.  I too am guilty of feeling "naked" when I leave my phone home on accident.  I have become dependent on the internet access and instant answers, phone numbers and directions.  The one place I never feel naked without my phone is church.  It is THREE hours.  Very rarely is there something that can't wait THREE stinkin hours. David brings his which is fine with me but he doesn't text or surf the internet, look at facebook or play games.  I used to get annoyed but having my sister call to tell us that my nephew was on the way to the hospital years ago during church made me realize there is a need at times to have a phone on you.  I don't know how many times we see adults tell their kids they can't play games during sacrament and then a few minutes later they themselves are playing.  It drives me CRAZY! I exclude the teenagers from this category.  I wouldn't love for my kids to bring their phones to church at that age, but at the same time I know that I will just be grateful they went.  Even while texting or looking at facebook I know that some of the messages might still seep in.  For me you are just lucky to get teenagers to church so I am extremely tolerant of how they behave while there.  (At least while they aren't my own kids)  I shouldn't judge, but this is one of my things that must go.

2-The phrase "Did you see that on Pinterest" must go! Yes I have looked on pinterest from time to time but not everything crafty or clever that I do comes from pinterest.  Every once and a while I come up with something clever on my own.  I'm sure it is in the pinterest world somewhere, but occasionally its an original idea.  (As far as I know at the time)  A better way to phrase it would be "Where did you come up with that idea?"  I am not too crafty, but I do have some VERY crafty friends/family and I'm sure it insults their creativity when you assume everything they do is off of pinterest.

3-Parents who use the phrase "I just check out." I have heard this phrase VERY often from people lately.  It drives me nuts.  Once you get pregnant, you become a parent.  Last I checked you can't just take a vacation from that.  You will ALWAYS be a parent.  I understand needing time away....trust me, I get to where I tell David "If I don't get out of the house and away from the kids I'm going to lose my mind." (Luckily its few and far between now that they are older and I'm in school) I know of people who just go through the routine of the day "checked out" and to me it is just very sad.  I know that their children notice that their parent isn't giving them the time or attention.  I know that the parent is missing out on some cute, touching and funny moments.  Nothing delights me more than when Shelby stops me from cleaning to tell me a nursery rhyme.  Or when I hear Kadence singing in the bathroom.  These little ones are precious and they are only this age for a short time.  We need to enjoy it, not just go through the motions of being a mom or dad.  (Ask me again when they are teenagers and I might sing a different song)


I know these seem VERY judgemental, but they are just my personal opinion.  I'm not under the impression that I am perfect.  In fact I could write an entire list of things I do that must go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment