Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Girls Night!

For a few weeks the girls and I have been planning to have a girls night.  David really wanted to go backpacking overnight and so I figured that would be the perfect opportunity.  Unfortunately the first trip he had planned was cancelled because his friend wasn't able to make it.  Then, the second trip was cancelled because another friend couldn't make it.  Shelby looked at me and said, "Mom, can't dad still go? Can't he just go fishing or something?"  David heard the whole conversation and decided he would go on a hike on Friday instead.  The girls night was on and all 3 of us counted down the days.  On Thursday Kadence came home from school just miserable.  She had a cough that let us know that pneumonia wasn't far away.  Then she got the accompanying fever.  We called and made an appointment with her doctor for Friday afternoon and figured that would be good enough. Well, we didn't make it that long.  I had to call David home from work so that we could take Kadence in to the ER.  After a breathing treatment I could only get her oxygen levels to hover around 92-93.  This is a good level for before the treatment, but after she usually goes up to a steady 95.  We also used the last vial of albuterol.  I just didn't feel comfortable putting her back to sleep because she normally has her levels drop when she relaxes or sleeps.  We took her in and they found that she had the early stages of pneumonia.  Kadence was so excited because she got to see her friend Chloe's dad while we were there.  Robbie is a respiratory therapist and came in and visited with us for a while.  He even got popsicles for the girls.  Kadence was tested for whooping cough and the ER doctor was pretty positive that's what she had.  So basically we left the ER at 3am on Friday and we were all exhausted, Kadence had pneumonia and possibly whooping cough.  I debated going in to work, but decided I would because I hate calling in.  So I got very little sleep before waking back up for work.  I was running on fumes all day and I got a text telling me how excited the girls were for our girls day.  Somehow I knew that I had to muster enough energy to make it through.  I also had to think of a new plan because I didn't want to take Kadence out while she had a fever and while she might be spreading whooping cough.  I stopped on the way home from work and grabbed some treats.  I had ordered the movie Croods already for part of our night as well. 
 
When I got home it was so cute to see how excited the girls were.  They had made "no boys allowed" signs and posted them on the door.  They then kicked their daddy out and told him that he couldn't come back until 8pm.  Because of our sick little one I had to adjust which also meant that dinner would be take out.  If it was take out there was only one place that would be guaranteed to excite...McDonalds. McDonalds had Monster High trick or treat buckets and the girls were in heaven!  We watched a Halloween cooking show while we ate.  After eating we played a few Halloween games in which we won Halloween prizes.  Then we told scary stories and waited for daddy to come home so that we could watch Croods.  We ate some treats and watched our movie and then it was off to bed.  We had a great time.  I love that my girls look forward to girls day as much as I do.  I like that they allowed David to come for part of it.  I really hope that we are able to continue girls day as the girls get older and even after they are married.  I just love my girls to pieces and can't imagine life without them.  They are my entire world.    
 


 If you didn't know Kadence, you wouldn't know she was sick!!
 She really didn't feel too well, but again you would only know if you knew her well.
 
 
Just a little side note, the test came back a few days later and she did not have whooping cough.  It only took a few days for her fever to break and her oxygen levels stayed at an acceptable level almost the entire time after the ER visit.  I hate that she gets pneumonia all the time, but I also feel like we are now pros at dealing with it and knowing exactly what she needs.  Nothing gets her down!

No comments:

Post a Comment