Friday, October 9, 2009

Crayons

To make coloring a little more interesting for the kids, I found a way to mix the colors and make them into shapes. The main reason people do it is to use up all of the broken old crayons instead of throwing them away.


Start by unwrapping crayons and breaking them into pieces. Place about 2-3 broken crayons into a muffin tin. I used the disposable kind because it seemed like it would be easier to get them out.


Bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees. You can burn wax so be careful. Take them out of the oven and allow to completely cool. They only take about 10-15 minutes to cool and you will notice the edges will start to pull away from the muffin tin. Gently pop them out and enjoy!



These are a few of the 'rainbow' crayons I made.




After taking the first batch out of the oven I noticed they were a little thin. I used 3 crayons instead of two and it made them substantially thicker and more durable for little hands. Let your kids help pick the color combos. They will enjoy seeing what color comes from it. I used a toothpick to stir the hot wax when I took it out of the oven to give it a little more character.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a fun idea!! I can't wait to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I want my little guy to be bigger so he colors more (instead of eating the crayons) then I will have small pieces to make them. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete