Monday, October 5, 2009

Swine flu

So Friday my family was exposed to the swine flu at a family birthday party. I wasn't too concerned since none of us were in close contact with the people who came down with it. Unfortunately, yesterday Kadence woke up with a stuffy nose. I figured it was because of the rain and checked her temperature. She was her usual 97.2. I watched it close all day because Kadence is more susceptible since she has asthma. She threw up during nap which we figured was because she coughed too hard. (Not unusual for her) In the evening I noticed she had a rash on both legs and both arms. This isn't a primary indicator of swine flu, but it did alert me to take her temperature. Of course she did have a low fever. We called the Dr and got her right in. The doctor was pretty convinced that she did indeed catch swine flu so he ordered the rapid test. It came back negative. He told David that this didn't mean she didn't have it because it might not show up if you test too soon. I kept telling myself that it is just a cold and not swine flu. This morning she can't even walk 3 steps without crying because her body hurts so bad. She has been on the couch all morning which is SO unlike her. I read on the CDC's website and it says that the rapid test is very sensitive and only about 10-70% accurate and does NOT rule out having the virus. Bummer! I kept trying to convince myself that she just had a bad cold not swine flu but unfortunately I think she does. The doctor told David when to seek more medical treatment. (Fever that doesn't go away within 4 or 5 days, labored breathing, etc.) So I guess we will just treat her at home and hope nobody else gets it. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Leanne! I'm so sorry. And poor Kadence, after just recovering from her surgery too. You take care.

    ReplyDelete