Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kadence's MRI

Ok, so when we went in to get Kadence's brace adjusted we called ahead and asked Angie (Kadence's Care Coordinator) if she would mind asking the Dr what Kadence's MRI actually meant. I had called the Monday following her MRI and was read almost word for word what the radiologist had noted, but not much of it made sense to me. David and I tried to figure out what it all meant on our own and really don't want to wait until her next casting (November 11th) to figure it all out. Angie was nice enough to talk to the Dr, who said that there was fluid on the spine but at a glance he wasn't able to see it. He isn't a radiologist, and didn't have a ton of time to look. They did assure us that the fluid was stable which was great! They told us that we just will continue to do MRI's to make sure that the fluid stays the same. If it changes at all then we will be referred to a neurologist at Primary Childrens for treatment. Angie could tell we still weren't quite satisfied, so she told us she could print off the actual MRI report so that we could take it home and google our little hearts out. Not her exact words of course, but she knew we wanted our questions answered further. The printout has sat on our counter for the past 2 weeks. I think in the back of my mind I didn't want to know what else could be wrong and want to talk myself into being confident that everything is fine. Unfortunately, I got the paper out today. There are two things that they are debating between for a diagnosis.

"Stable appearance of linear fluid focus in the upper to mid ventral portion of the cord diagnostic considerations include a partial ventral cord schisis versus anterior localization of the central canal."

Ok, I know that sounds like a lot of medical jargon, but when I broke it down into sections it kind of started to make sense. The linear fluid in the upper to mid ventral portion of the cord is stable....GREAT!!! But then it is saying that she either has partial ventral cord schisis OR anterior localization of the central canal. I of course googled a bit and haven't been able to figure too much out on my own. All I have found suggests that the partial ventral cord schisis points toward a tethered or split cord. That would be absolutely devastating. It is actually what we have feared the most in all of this. We would most likely have to un tether her cord in order to move forward with treatment which is very risky. I hope and pray this is not what she has. I couldn't figure out what the anterior localization of the central canal means at all other than I know the word anterior means at or near the front.

I don't know why I wait to look these things up until I am at home alone. I just want to break down and cry....then I realize crying doesn't make it go away, nor does it make me understand it any better. All I can do at this point is wait until November 11th when we get Kadence's next cast put on and we can talk to the Dr's, and pray.....A LOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment