Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Preschool!

Wow, I am now the mom of a preschooler. It's weird for me to say that! Kadence has been so excited for weeks now to go to preschool. Her Aunt Barb called yesterday (Because the 3 year old class started yesterday) to see how her first day was, and Kadence told her she loved it and had a lot of fun. When I told Barb that she hadn't gone yet, we both had a good laugh. I think Kadence was talking about when she went to meet her teacher, Miss Jill, last week.
Here are both girls ready for preschool. The other day when Kadence was talking about going to preschool Shelby told me she wanted to go too. I explained she had to be 4 to go, and that she was only 2. She was quiet for a second before telling me, "No I'm 5!" She has been insisting she's 5 since then and that's all I heard all morning. She wants to be big like her sister...ok, she is as big as her sister...she wants to be as old as her sister. :)


Shelby even insisted that she wore a backpack too!

Here's the big girl, ready to go to her first day of preschool!

David was able to talk a teacher into watching his class for 5 minutes before lunch so that he could use his lunch to come with me to drop Kadence off for school. He has always wanted to be there for the first day of preschool and Kindergarten. (What a great dad!) When we walked to the door she hung up her backpack and ran off to play. Then she ran back, gave us a quick hug, then went back to playing. She didn't have the slightest bit of hesitation leaving us. As some of you know, that is a BIG improvement from a few years ago. She used to barely make eye contact when people talked to her and never left my side. She really has come out of her shell.

I thought that I might have a hard time leaving her, but I did amazing! No tears from me. Although things like this make me so grateful that our sweet little miracle is attending preschool with other children her age and will fit right in developmentally. It blows my mind that she is so 'normal' compared to what we thought she might be at 4. I feel incredibly blessed!

Now, I didn't have a hard time and neither did David but her little sister Shelby did. She just kept saying that she wanted her Kay Kay. (She knows how to say Kadence, but calls her Kay Kay instead) I tried to distract her by asking if she wanted to go shopping with me, "No thanks mommy" Then I asked if she wanted to go get a drink, "No thanks" I asked if she wanted to get a book, "No" The poor thing is absolutely devastated by her sister leaving her. Luckily the preschool has a 3 year old class so Shelby only has to wait until next year. It will be nice for me to have 2 1/2 hours without kids two days a week so I can take a class up at the college....but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
While Kadence was at school I tried to keep Shelby busy. We went shopping, went to get some lunch, and came home to watch Little Mermaid. (Her favorite movie) It didn't really work. I was hoping that I would be able to do some homework while Kadence was at preschool, but I'm thinking I will be paying 100% attention to Shelby.

On the way to pick Kadence up, Shelby told me "I missing my Kay Kay" She was so excited to go pick her up! Kadence was excited to see us too. She didn't have a lot to say other than she had fun. I asked her if they learned the rules, she said "Ya". I aksed her what she learned and she said, "I don't know." She made a foam visor that you are supposed to put stickers on, but it came home without any stickers on it. She said she didn't want them on there.

2 comments:

  1. If it is the same miss jill that I know that had a preschool at ben lomond, all I have to say is good luck. You may have several days like this. I used to work for her at a daycare on monroe and I wasn't too impressed. On the other hand I am so excited for your little family. I love how tight knit your little family is. You guys are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe she is already in preschool. She has grown so fast.

    ReplyDelete