Saturday, September 25, 2010

XTERRA

David had the brilliant idea to run in the Xterra race today. He registered for it over the summer figuring he would have plenty of time to train. Well, it sounded good in theory but didn't happen how he wanted. He would run a mile to 4 miles a few times a week and every now and again he would add a hill to his run. He also wanted to diet so that he was in better health overall....which didn't happen. He loves to eat and when he eats, its a large portion! He loves drinking pop and drank it right up until 5 days ago. So it seemed like the odds were against him. He decided to set realistic goals:
1- Finish the race alive
2- Finish in under 2 1/2 hours
3- Run the entire race
This is one of the most difficult races around. It features a 2,300 foot climb from pineview resevoir to Snowbasin Resort. Now I'll remind you that 2,300 foot climb is in 12.5 miles. David made me proud! He finished the race alive! He completed the race in 2 hours 5 minutes coming in 98th out of 225 participants. He did have to walk and said it was a gorgeous trail. He said that when he was walking it was more like he was hiking. He met 2 of his 3 goals which I think is absolutely amazing! I'm so proud of him and I know without a doubt I couldn't have finished if you gave me all day. I just found out that he actually qualified to run in the Xterra Trail Running World Championship that is held in Hawaii on the island of Oahu on December 5th. Too bad we don't have the funds to go, because thats an opportunity that doesn't come often.

No comments:

Post a Comment