Thursday, July 8, 2010

Always Someone Worse Off

Ok, I'm pretty sure we have all heard the phrase "There's always someone worse off than you." If not, I sure have and I remind myself of it when times get tough. Every time I get frustrated with Kadence's medical problems I quickly remind myself that others have it worse. It has definitely been something that has helped me stay strong...and if not strong, it helps me at least manage to make it through the day. (Sometimes that's the best I can do.) I know that no matter how bad our financial situation may seem at times, I never have had to hear my children tell me they're hungry and not have an answer for them. I haven't had to hear the cries because they are cold and we have no shelter. Honestly, I think about this kind of stuff daily. It helps me realize the blessings that I do have.


David, Kadence and I have been really struggling with this casting. It is far too hot for Kadence, and David and I just want to see our little girl be allowed to play out outside and in the water. Not to mention Shelby doesn't get to play outside or in the water because of her sister. We have been very discouraged by her progress and have been feeling pretty hopeless. Today I just realized that I need to be happy just to have our family all under one roof. It might not be perfect, but we're all here. Our friend is currently stationed in England in the military and his wife just left him and took their son with her. They are in the middle of a divorce. He is a great dad and hasn't ever done anything wrong. Ok, we all do things wrong as parents but he hasn't done anything that would deserve getting his son taken away. He gets some leave in August and will be coming out for 10 days. In that 10 days she is allowed to say when he does and doesn't get his OWN son! She said she'll allow him a few hours each day and that he is selfish for wanting anymore. How messed up is that?! In all of his struggles it has made me realize that I am so lucky. Despite all our trials, we are still all under one roof.....and in the same country! I can't imagine the heartache of not being able to see your child. I can't imagine being in another country and not being able to do anything...you would feel so hopeless. So, moral of this story....there is always someone worse off.

2 comments:

  1. It is hard in situations like this. It takes two in a relationship, especially one with problems. When the ex is bitter and chooses to use the child as a form of subserviance, everyone suffers; and not always immediately. We got lucky that our parents decided from the beginning that that was unacceptable. We never had to feel that one parent was trying to take us away from the other. We are definitely the abnormal in that kind of situation. Too many times what is happening to your friend is common occurance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that reminder. I get in complaining moods sometimes. I need to stop and realize how many blessings I do have. How lucky I am to be where I am with a husband and son who love me. You are right, sometimes things just stink and it's okay to complain about them sometimes. I will try harder to adopt your attitude to be grateful!!

    ReplyDelete