Monday, July 12, 2010

Kadence's Birthday!!

Kadence wasn't only excited for her birthday party this year, but also her birthday. We started the day as usual in our house when there is a birthday....with yummy doughnuts! She had a few days before decided she wanted a 'fiesta with a pinata and for everyone to sing feliz cumpleanos' I am almost positive it's due to a Dora episode she saw where they threw Boots a birthday party. What can I say though, my girls get what they want on their birthdays! She was dead set on a pink cake so I died the batter pink....
And the frosting pink...

And the fondant pink. I was VERY sick of pink by the end of the day!!


I also had to make some pink cupcakes.
Since I put of making a pinata until her actual birthday I didn't have time to do a paper machete one. I looked around on the internet and found this easy, mess free idea. You get a small paper bag or a large grocery sized bag and fill it half full with goodies. Then you put a sheet of crumpled up tissue paper in the top, roll the top down and staple it shut. You then apply a piece of tissue paper to the bottom to cover the bottom of the bag.



You then take strips of tissue paper that you have cut and fringed and glue it around the bag.

Finally you hole punch the top and tie a string through it. Wa La! A very easy pinata that you can complete in one day. The best part is that you don't have half the mess to clean up at the end.

We bought Kadence a vanity for her birthday for $25!! We got it back in January when they had Christmas stuff on clearance. Her and her sister both LOVE it!

Even though we have seen many instances on America's Funniest Home Videos where the dad regrets holding the pinata, David still offered to be the brave soul who held the girls pinatas.

Shelby went first and then Kadence tried hers out.
I'm not sure I would recommend doing this kind of pinata for a party. Both girls would try for a while before I would have to step in and hit it. I ended up denting our bat...I know it's plastic, but it's a pretty tough plastic. I think next time I try it I might make a small slit in the bottom of the bag so it will break easier.

At the end of the day, I was totally pinked out but Kadence LOVED her pink fiesta!

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious! I wonder if the pinata would work better if you made it with four ply tissue paper instead of a paper sack? One or two hits and it's down. I will have to remember this so I can make a spider one for Asher's birthday.

    ReplyDelete