Monday, March 21, 2011

Potty Time!

We finally decided that it was time to do the final push with potty training. We have tried to let it be all up to Shelby, but I was done waiting. Every time we would try, she would get upset and go "anti potty" so we would back of for a month and try again. It was obvious she knew exactly what was going on and to me if your child can tell you, "Mommy, I peed can you change my diaper?" then it is time to potty train. I thought it was going to be a HUGE battle, but have been pleasantly surprised so far. The first day she had 3 accidents which is SO much better than I was expecting. She is just like Kadence and can't get her poop on the potty and when she starts to pee in her panties she stops and finishes on the potty. So it's not too bad since it doesn't make a giant mess everywhere.
The second day was a little worse than the first with a few more accidents. We did however make it through a 2 hour birthday party accident free. I was SO proud.
The third day was just as good as the first! We even went to Sacrament meeting and she was doing pretty good. Then she ate a tootsie roll and her fake teeth fell out so we had to leave anyways. (Figures!)
And today, the fourth day, is the same as the first and third day. I have been trying to cautiously do things the same as I normally would and just hope and pray she doesn't have an accident. We went and dropped Kadence off at preschool, brought David a drink at work, went to The Childrens Place, Carters, Maceys, Maple Gardens, and then brought David lunch at work. Through all of that she remained accident free....much to my delight!! She seems to have 3 accidents a day on average...and has about 12 or so successes. She has been getting a sticker each success and every row of 10 she fills she gets a small prize as a reward. Today she filled her entire chart of 50! We gave her a Sally doll. She ABSOLUTELY LOVES Nightmare Before Christmas and was ECSTATIC!! She immediately yelled, SALLY! Then she ran to her bed and got her Jack doll that is the same style. She has been making them kiss all night while we have a movie night on the couch watching Nightmare Before Christmas. I was able to give Kadence a Sally too since I got both for $9 total with free shipping! I knew they would come in handy for some sort of reward or distraction.
Here is the big girl with her potty chart and prize!

I think this face shows how happy she is! (Notice Jack nestled under her other arm)

I am now going to try to make a chart that encourages her to have fewer accidents. I am going to try to give her a prize if she only has 2 accidents in a day....then once she gets the hang of that I will bring it to 1...then zero. Hopefully it will work, but we'll see. She has surprised me throughout the whole process because she hasn't fought me at all. She has such a stubborn personality and I didn't know if she would fight me on it. I'm so proud of Shelby and so happy she has such a good big sister cheering her on. I don't know how many times I have heard Kadence say, "I'm so proud of Shelby, she's a big girl now!" I'm lucky to have two girls who love each other so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment