Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spring!

My girls have been anticipating Spring for weeks now. Kadence wakes up every morning and asks if its Spring yet. Because of her excitement, Shelby was excited too. I talked to David and we decided to have a celebration for the first day of Spring. Unfortunately I was in a terrible mood on the first day of Spring and then David had school at night so today we finally celebrated. (What the girls don't know won't hurt them.) When I told them that we would have a Spring Party they were SO excited.
While Kadence was at preschool, Shelby and I made Spring Funfetti cake cookies. She LOVES cooking and likes to be referred to as "Little Chef." It cracks me up! At first she kept asking me "Where are the cookies?" She was confused that we were actually mixing and making our cookie dough instead of breaking the pre sectioned pieces from the package and putting them on the pan. Once I started to put the balls of dough on the pan she finally stopped asking where the cookies were. (Goes to show you how much we bake)

I caught her watching the cookies.



Then she caught me taking pictures of her.


Little Chef's job was to put all the sprinkles on the cookies. She actually did a really good job!


Our "Spring" Cookies!



What's a party without goodie bags? I grabbed things from around the house that we have been buying for when the weather gets nice and shoved it in the Tinkerbell slingbags that we got when we went to Disneyland and never gave to the girls. I even found 2 goodie bags from last Easter laying in my basement that went in.


The girls discovering their chalk, batons, and Easter goodie bag. I also bought two books specifically for our party. One was "My Oh My-A Butterfly!" the other was "Oh Say Can You Seed" They are both Dr Seuss style books and are full of information about these two spring subjects.
Shelby has been DYING to play with chalk.
Here's Kadence coloring with her chalk...both girls sat the exact same even.



While the girls colored, David started getting our new patio set out of the boxes and assembled.
I asked David to take a picture of us...and this is the best one we got. They make me laugh!


After chalk it was the swing set...


Shelby started teaching herself how to pump on the swing set. It shocked the heck out of us because Kadence won't even sit on a swing so we have no idea how she figured it out. Kadence doesn't like how unstable it makes her. Shelby kept falling off backwards and having the swing hit her. Kadence would yell, "Shelby fell on her head, but she's ok!" It was really funny.

Yesterday I was looking through FamilyFun magazine and saw cinnamon pull aparts. I was excited to try to make them, but Kadence doesn't really like cinnamon and Shelby doesn't like to be sticky. Then I realized the sections made it look like a flower and got the idea to dye the dough and make flower rolls. I was SO proud of myself because I am NOT a creative person. In fact, this is the first time I have ever made dough and even had to call David for advice. I don't many women who call their husband for advice on making dough, but he's made it before and I haven't. I am a Rhodes Roll kind of gal because it's easy. They turned out pretty darn good if I say so myself!



It was fun to see the girls pull the "petals" off their flower roll.

It was an AMAZING day for all of us. David and I love being outside with the girls and hearing how excited and happy they are. We try to spend as much time taking in how happy they make us because they will only be this age once. Life is a fragile thing and we try to make the most of what time we have together. I love my family and love the excitement my girls get from little things like 2 hours devoted to spring. At the end of the day I was almost brought to tears when I was tucking Kadence in to bed. She said, "Mom I have a secret.." then she whispered in my ear "Thank you for my spring party."

1 comment:

  1. Soooo cute and fun!!! You are a fun mama they are lucky girls!!!

    ReplyDelete