Monday, February 3, 2014

Shelby's Tea Party!

Shelby decided she wanted a tea party this year for her birthday.  I tried VERY hard to influence her to have a mad hatter tea party, but she chose to have a "fancy tea party where everyone dresses up."  As always it's what the birthday girl wants that matters so fancy it was!  I set up for the party the night before because I knew that I would be busy making treats the day of the party.  Shelby kept coming in to check the progress and was SO excited and grateful for every little detail.  I think I heard "thank you mommy" about a hundred times. I ended up starting the cupcakes at about 11am on the day of the party.  Mind you, the party started at 2 and I still had to let them cool, make frosting, frost them, dip strawberries and make oreo balls.  Oops!  I was in a bit of a rush.  I'm so glad that David is always so good to help me.  I was freaked that the sink would be full of nasty dishes when our guests arrived.  Plus without him, we wouldn't have had our traditional McDonalds lunch.

 Each girl got a tea cup full of goodies and also got to choose a tea party book.  Shelby loves to read so I thought this would be fun for her.

Shelby and her balloons!
 Love these two!
Our traditional family picture
 Shelby only invited two girls from Logan, Chloe and Naomi.  The other guests were coming from Ogden or Morgan.  Because of snow they were running a little bit late.  (Not to mention our house is difficult to find)  The four girls decided to play duck duck goose and had a lot of fun!

 We had a pinata that had pull strings because hitting with a bat didn't seem "fancy".  I was nervous that if we took turns then the first girl would open the pinata so they all picked a string and pulled together.  Well, the last string that nobody had picked was actually the one that opened up the pinata.

 Finally!
 We filled the pinata with jewelry and tootsie rolls.  (Shelbys favorite)

 Shelby had her birthday party on her friend Emi's actual birthday so we sang to Emi
 Then we sang to Shelby
 Naomi and Shelby
 Addilyn and Kenzley
 Chloe and Kadence
 Sarah and Emi
 We opened presents and Shelby was spoiled rotten
 After presents we just let the girls dance, sing and play.  I didn't really think about having an activity until the day before the party.  I am a little rusty with my party planning I guess.  When I told Shelby she told me that she thought it would be a good idea to just dance after.  I pulled out her karaoke machine, her new Frozen CD and let the girls have at it.  We did offer any adult their choice of ibuprofen or tylenol because.....it was kind of loud.  David captured Shelby singing her heart out without help of a microphone....
 He also got a picture of Shelby and Jeffy dancing.  Notice that Jeffy even dressed up per Shelby's request.
 Jeffy bought Shelby a shrinky dink machine and she LOVES it.  She made a cupcake keychain.

Shelby let her sister try it out and Kadence made a flower necklace.
Shelby had a lot of fun and I'm so glad that almost all of her friends were able to make it.  I'm also very thankful their parents were willing to make the long drive for Shelby.  I mean, they were in the car longer than they were at the party.  I love letting the girls pick their party theme and help me in the planning.  I love even more how grateful they are about all of it.  When I tucked Shelby in bed she said, "Mom I can't believe I'm 6!"  I am right there with her, I can't believe she's 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment