Saturday, October 4, 2014

Glasses!

We've known for a while we have needed to get Kadence's eyes checked, but have just been putting it off.  (Great parents, I know)  We started noticing that she would look above or below her glasses instead of through them.  She only used them to read and do her schoolwork, but even then she wasn't actually using the glasses like she should.  We told her recently that she could decide what worked best for her until we knew if she did or did not still need glasses.  She almost always chooses not to wear her glasses.  She's never fought us at all about wearing them so we figured she no longer needed them.  We were right, her eyes are near perfect and the amount of correction the glasses would give her wouldn't really change much.  We were told that if she starts showing signs of needing them to get her glasses but until then she doesn't need them.  She was pretty excited!
 We made an appointment for Shelby as well.  A few months ago she told me she thought she needed glasses.  I assumed it was because Kadence and Dad had glasses so it was more of a novelty.  I brushed it aside a little.  (Again....great parent right here!)  Then when we would read scriptures at night I noticed that she would lean in and squint in order to read it. I thought maybe she would need glasses for reading or at least an eye exam.  She was right, she does need glasses!
 She was so excited!  She already knew she wanted the Michelangelo Ninja Turtle frames from Shopko.  She couldn't have been any happier about the news.  She has to wear them full time and she's excited about that too.  Both eyes have an astigmatism in them and they actually are both lazy.  (Not like the wandering eye kind of lazy) What happens is that her retinas have only seen blurry which sends a blurry signal to her brain.  With glasses, her retina gets a clear image but her brain doesn't know how to interpret the clear image so it goes blurry.  Basically with glasses she still can't get 20/20 vision.  After wearing glasses and sending a clear image the brain will start to rewire and she'll eventually be able to see 20/20 with glasses.  We got her in to be seen in time because after the age of 8 her brain wouldn't rewire and fix the problem. Normally they patch the better eye to force the worse eye to do the work, but her eyes are very similar and it's only mild so we don't need to patch.  He thinks that by next year her vision will have improved drastically as far as getting 20/20 vision with the help of glasses.  
 Shelby decided on some Skecher frames that are almost identical to the ones Kadence wore instead of the Mikey ones.
 It was so cute to watch her choose the perfect frames.


 She went home and wrote in her "Things she loves" book...
  It didn't make a ton of sense to me as to why she was so extremely happy about glasses until she said "Mom, now I finally know what makes me different!" You see, as Kadence has grown and gone through castings and bracings we've explained to both girls that everyone is different.  Kadence's crooked back makes her different and not everyone understands so they may stare or ask questions.  We did this as a learning tool for them to not stare at others, how to respond when people do stare and to not feel bad because people don't always understand.  This has worked great for Kadence.  Through the years when someone stares she just says "I have a crooked back and this helps me to be straight!" and then continues on with whatever she's doing.  What I didn't realize is that Shelby never felt like she was different.  After explaining how great it is to be different and unique so many times I never realized Shelby felt left out.  We of course would talk about how Shelby had big brown eyes and that was different or that she was very helpful and that was different, but she never had anything that was "medically different".  This poor girl has been waiting for her chance to be unique, her chance to stand out and be different.  Her chance to tell people about herself and what makes her special.  It seems so weird, but getting the news she'd need to wear glasses has boosted her self esteem unlike any compliment you could give her.  She feels she finally has her own identity and even told me at one point today, "Mom I like me."  I feel bad that we leaned to far in one childs direction unknowingly, but I'm glad Shelby finally feels different. 

During the Priesthood session of conference the girls and I went and picked out ice cream and waffle cone bowls.  We ate ice cream and watched a movie.  Afterwards we went to eat with David, Curtis and Vance.  It was a lot of fun!  The waitress brought over a s'mores dessert and told me that it was on the house because my girls were just so cute.  I couldn't believe it!  I mean to be 6 and 8 and be getting free things because of your cuteness?!  I'm terrified and proud all at the same time.  :)  They were VERY excited about dessert and the chance to roast a marshmallow inside. 

 
It was a great day and it's days like today that make me realize what is important in life.  Despite the stresses, the business and the loads of homework I am so blessed.  I just need to take the time to step back and take in all my blessing.  I love my cute girls and the free dessert they scored us, I love how tender and sweet they are, I love seeing them laugh and smile and enjoy life.  I love David and his dedication to honoring his Priesthood and setting the tone for our house.  I love that he is such a support to me and to the girls.  He brings a lightness and playfulness that I don't.  I love extended family and friends and the time we get to spend with them.  I'm one lucky lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment