Friday, April 11, 2014

The Big Day!

The big day finally arrived and it came early.  We got up at 5:45 and started getting ready.  Somehow we still managed to run late so we were rushing out to the car and off to Shriners.  We made it on time luckily because I hate to be late.  We got checked in and Kadence went through the routine of getting all her stats.  We then were shown to her room which is thankfully all her own.  Kadence got Pumpkin all set up and Shelby and her colored their build a bear boxes.  
We had some xrays and "before" pictures taken and things moved pretty quickly.  Grandma and Grandpa Joy and Rachel were there.  All the doctors were in and out talking about their specific roles and seeing if we had any questions.  At one point Shelby asked a dr if she could ask a question.  He of course said yes. Then she asked him "Are you going to make a mistake?"  He kind of chuckled and told her he wasn't planning on it.  :)  David and I really don't like others to be there when any of us have surgery because we like to just be with each other.  We figured this was a little different so we changed the rules a bit.  Shelby hadn't ever come on a surgery day before but we let her come clear to when they took Kadence away in the pre op room it was just us 4 as we said our goodbyes and it was nice to give Shelby that chance.  Shelby then left with Rachel for the day and Grandma and Grandpa waited downstairs. David and I got a bite to eat and then went back to the room to wait.  We set up the present we got her as well as the one Chloe and Naomi sent with us.
David and I started getting a little worried because it took a little longer than they told us.  I had to go to the bathroom so bad but kept holding it knowing they were coming soon.  I finally gave in and decided to go and OF COURSE the dr came in right as I sat down.  I hurried and by the time I was done washing my hands he was gone.  That is seriously my luck.  He told David that everything went very well during the surgery and that Kadence would be in soon.  When Kadence got back to the room I was so relieved to have my baby safe and sound.  She was happy to see us and was trying so hard to be tough.  I could tell something was wrong and told her it was ok to cry.  She immediately sobbed.  It wasn't the annoying loud cry, just a quiet sob which almost seemed more heartbreaking.  She kept saying she didn't hurt but eventually we figured out she was hurting pretty bad.  She worried David and I a little because she would ask where Shelby was and then within 5 minutes ask again.  She also would ask if she had her halo on and within 5 minutes ask again.  Luckily as she woke up more she stopped doing that.  I asked if she wanted to see her halo and she said she did.  I showed her on my phone camera and just had to snap a picture of her seeing herself for the first time (the smile was prompted, but she wasn't really too happy)
 We got her to stop the tears by handing her the presents.  :)

 We gave her the newest Tinkerbell movie the Pirate Fairy as well as a joke book
 She had a popsicle
Meanwhile Shelby was having fun at the park with Kylah and Rachel.  It was so nice to know she was being taken care of and entertained.
 After the first round of tears Kadence gradually got happier.  She watched her new movie and then watched Cinderella with Pumpkin...and all her other animals. 
Mommy and Kadence
 Daddy and Kadence

 She decided to get up and try out her walker and wheelchair.  She learned she could look out the window.
 She had a ton of fun in the wheelchair and taught herself to spin in circles.  We put on some music and she danced around in it.  
 We took a trip outside to the play area and she played with some of the toys.  
 We then came back to the room to wait for Shelby to come back.  When Rachel, Kylah and Shelby came the girls all went to the activity area to play for a while.  Then we came back to the room to color Spring pictures which we hung up to decorate.  We also had some snacks.
 
 It was an incredibly long day and Kadence did so much better than anyone could have ever anticipated.  She had every nurse and dr smiling as she showed off Pumpkin.  She even had the night nurse laughing pretty good after going cross eyed at her while the nurse did her neuro checks.  I love that she can be so cheerful and make others happy despite what she is dealing with. At the end of the day we watched a show together, prayed and Kadence chose to have daddy stay the night with her.  Shelby and I went to the Ronald McDonald House to sleep.  I wanted regular updates because I knew there was no way I would be able to sleep knowing I wasn't the one with Kadence.  She was exhausted and hadn't had any pain meds since coming out of surgery.  She was hurting and the nurse was shocked she went so long without pain meds and that despite it she was doing GREAT! After I left David text and explained that Kadence had a mini meltdown because she was frustrated she wouldn't see our house for a while, we had to leave her during surgery, she was uncomfortable, etc.  She calmed down pretty quickly though.  Then in the middle of the night he woke up to her quietly sobbing.  Her pain had gotten the best of her and she wasn't happy.  They got her some pain meds and David turned on some music until she fell asleep. 
 She had a more than amazing day and proved to us all that she is even tougher than we already knew.  There is no way you could put 6 pins in my head and expect me to do anything but lay in bed whining/crying all day.  She is a champ and I am so blessed to have her!

2 comments:

  1. As I read this I am fighting back my own tears. I stand in amazement of the bravery of your cute little girl. Your family is one of our favorites and we are always thinking of you. Please pass around hugs from us. We love you all and you are in every one of our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shar I wish I could fight back tears, I'm sobbing. Leanne you are one tough cookie (David too) and have raised an amazing girl. She is such an inspiration to us all. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete