Wednesday, December 19, 2012

FINALLY A MASTERS!

We were so excited that the day had arrived for David to attend his Masters hooding and Commencement.  He received his diploma a while ago, but it didn't seem real because he hadn't "graduated".  The girls independently woke up thrilled for their daddy.  They gave him the biggest hug and told him "Happy Graduation Day!"  I didn't have to remind them, it was just the first thing they did.  They love their dad more than anything and were so absolutely proud of him.  Shelby is very into giving gifts.  She grabs stuff out of her room to give an it might seem insignificant but she puts a lot of thought into it.  She gave David one of her favorite rocks from her rock collection
 Then Kadence got a bunch of rock from her rock collection to give.  It was such a great way to start the day.
 I love these 3 more than anything!
 I'm not sure what Kadence was doing with her face in this one, but hey...thats Kadence!
                                 Rachel, Kylah and Doug also came to the hooding ceremony
                   As well as Curtis, Sarah, Connie and Grandma Neal. (Dale was in surgery)
 Crouching down to get hooded
                                           Officially hooded with a Master of Education
                                               Walking to his seat at the commencement
                                       Grabbing his fake diploma from the dean of Education
 After the two different ceremonies I was extremely cranky and tired....and the girls had done great....but they were done too.  Before the ceremony we saw on the internet that there was a school shooting in Connecticut at an elementary and that 20+ people were dead.  I was devastated knowing that most of them were children.  I couldn't even talk about anything else.  I never got the chance to tell David how proud I was of him because I just kept imagining the horror form many points of view.  The teacher, the teachers family, the kids and the kids who passed families.  Then theres the community and so on.  I just couldn't shake the feeling.  I even found myself texting David about it during the commencement.  My heart was breaking.  Then we found out right before refreshments that one of the little girls who died was Emilie Parker.  David grew up a street over from Emilie's dad Robbie.  He was in Young Mens with him, did scouts with him and ran cross country for school with him and his brother James.  I was really good friends with James' wife Natalie and James during high school and so both of our hearts just sank.  I couldn't imagine the heartache they all must be going through.  We had to pull ourselves together and entertain because I had invited many to have refreshments at our home.  I wanted something David would enjoy so I paid someone to make him an edible periodic table.  He loved it which was all that mattered.
After refreshments we went to El Matador for dinner with family, Jeff and Taycina. (Who are like family to us)  I can't express my gratitude to those who were able to come help us celebrate in Davids big day.  The support and love meant a lot to both of us. It was a long day and what should have been excitement was only heartache.  Rest in Peace sweet Emilie, the world is a better place because you were in it. We'll continue to pray for those left behind to find peace and comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment