Monday, June 21, 2010

Moab

David has been wanting to go to Moab since we were dating. I am not a huge fan of being hot....ok, my body isn't a fan. I get really sick when I get hot so I haven't ever wanted to go. I finally found a cabin this year that had air conditioning in it so I figured I would give him his trip to Moab, he deserves it. Cabin is what they call it, I call it a box with air conditioning. We still had to hike to the bathrooms, and get our water, etc. I don't mind those things though, just the heat. I was raised camping and can handle the bugs and stinky outhouses. David insisted that we stopped at Maverik on our way out because it's "Adventures First Stop."



Then we went to Carls Jr to get breakfast. They have the best biscuits with strawberry jam in them. I didn't know how big they were so we ordered 6....3 would have been plenty for us.

The night before we left, David came in and told me his tire was flat. I just about died because I thought he was talking about his car tire not his bike tire. After he calmed me down he patched his tire and noticed that the wheel had a wobble. He said he would just get it "trued" in Moab and I insisted he did it before we left Ogden. So the morning we were leaving we went to Sports Authority where he usually goes. The guy told us that we could come pick up the tires the next day so we told him that we needed them now. He said he couldn't do that....even though it has only taken 20 minutes the other time we did it.


So we went to Canyon Sports. They were able to do it in about 5 minutes and charged us less for both tires than it costs to do one tire at Sports Authority. Lesson learned, Canyon Sports it is from now on. So now we were about 2 hours late getting on the road, but it was nice to just take our time and enjoy the time without the girls.

I had no idea that the trip to Moab included a canyon, and I just about died. I get car sick and I wasn't prepared for that. Luckily it wasn't too long before we were able to get out and walk around. The drive was beautiful, and I liked just having the two of us in the car. When we got to Moab I realized we only had roaming service. I almost made David turn around and come home, but figured I could facebook to check on the girls. After a minute we got T-mobile service and I was so relieved. I call to check on the girls every few hours when we are just in Salt Lake so I couldn't imagine not calling when we were that far away. We got there and went souvenir shopping. We could have spent hundreds of dollars there....if we had it. :) We then realized it was 7 and we hadn't eaten dinner yet. David got the fire started.



And I sat and watched him....for a minute before helping.


Killing time while dinner cooked.

We enjoyed the time together and played cards, and watched some episodes of The Office before going to bed. We woke up to a down pour of rain. Who goes to Moab in June and has it rain? Honestly we were so bummed. The whole reason we wanted to go was so David could ride slickrock, and we could hike to Delicate Arch. I decided we could go sight see in Arches National Park in the rain. So we did. The sky was so gloomy for most of it. It did stop raining for a while so we went back to camp, changed our shoes and headed to slickrock. We were hoping it would stay dry long enough.


David on Slickrock

Me on Slickrock. I decided Slickrock wasn't for me since I haven't ever ridden on a trail before in my life. It was a tad intense for me. I went back to the car, locked up my bike, and hiked in to the exit to meet David.

He finished!! He said it was easier then he expected, but still very hard. He thinks I could have made it alright if I walked my bike through most of it.

Here is me. It was so beautiful to sit and wait for him at the trail exit. I was able to just sit and enjoy the quiet all by myself and enjoy the view.



By the time he was done riding, the skies looked gorgeous! We figured we better go straight to Arches to hike to delicate while the weather was good. On the way up I realized how out of shape I really am. It was a little depressing and I wasn't quite sure we were going to make it to the top. Since I had a thyroid problem since having Shelby I haven't been able to exercise. Now that it is under control I am able to exercise, but have just started so it was again a little intense for me. We asked a fellow hiker to take our picture and she had to be the only person who didn't even understand English on the trail. She handed the camera to her husband who then took our picture and said, "Iz dat gud?" It was pretty funny.


We finally made it....I made it!! I was so proud of myself! It was way worth it, and SO beautiful. We had to wait until I got a picture without anyone under the arch which took some time. I had packed plenty of snacks so we just ate while I tried to get a good picture. I finally succeeded.


This is us under the arch


I NEVER really wear shoes, my feet get way too hot which makes me overheat. I am almost always in flip flops. I knew my mom would kill me if she found out I wore flip flops to hike in, so I had worn shoes. My feet were way too hot so I decided to hike down without shoes on....sshhh don't tell my mom. :)


I was way surprised that David actually joined me in my barefoot adventure.


My favorite rock up there, Balanced Rock.


hen we got back to our car, it wouldn't start. Luckily the person who parked next to us was in charge of a Priests Quorum and told us he would help jump our car if we could find jumper cables. David was able to find a park ranger and we were able to get on our way. It wasn't even 10 minutes later that it was down pouring again. What great luck! It cleared up long enough for us to do the two things we went for. When we were in town to buy jumper cables there was a huge ruckus on Main Street. There were 5 fire engines and a truck that said fire on it. We think a building got hit by lightning.



I decided that I missed my babies too much to stay another night. I have been away from them and not had a problem, but not THAT far away from them. I knew they were in great hands, but if something were to happen it would take me hours to get to them and I just couldn't handle it anymore. I figured we were just going to be leaving in the morning anyway so why not head out a little early so I could see my babies? Maybe one day I'll be able to leave them. I swear I can't wait to get away from them until I'm away and then I miss them like crazy! Overall it was a really great trip and I can't wait to go back when I am in a little better shape. (Next time we'll bring the kids though I think)

No comments:

Post a Comment