Monday, August 29, 2011

New Room

So we decided we shouldn't spend the money to go to Disneyland this October....BOOO!! We just have other places the money should go. Because of this, I still wanted to do something nice for the girls. I have been dying to remove the Sesame Street mural off of Kadence's wall. It was kind of cute when we moved in and she was 14 months old. Now, it's far from cute. My girls don't even watch Sesame Street anymore so I wanted this giant ugly thing gone and a more age appropriate room for Kadence. Here's a picture of the lovely wall:

We started the day after Shelby got her tonsils removed. Probably not the best idea, but hey who said we thought it out? The girls LOVE to help in this kind of situation so we bought two little rollers for them so they could help prime the wall. (After hours of sanding the goopy nasty paint-thanks David!)

There was something else that was really bothering me in her room. There is an intercom that is probably from the 70's. When David went to remove it we found out that it didn't even have any wires connected to anything. Basically it was just there to fill the space. I figured I could fill the space with something better looking. There is now a picture that hangs over this big gaping hole.



After Kadence was born there was an enrichment night in my ward in Logan. You could make your own custom vinyl lettering and do what you want with it. (This was before Cricut) I decided this would be perfect for Kadence. We hung it originally in Logan but it hasn't been hanging since we moved to Ogden 4 years ago.

I have been looking for a way to make the stuffed animals look a little nicer. we used to have them in a tote in the corner that was stacked about 2 feet above the tote and constantly overflowed onto the floor. We have 3 BIG bags of stuffed animals in our basement too. I realized that I should just put an animal hammock in the corner of Kadence's room. Wa La! Much better!

Not only did we have a tote for the stuffed animals, but we had a tote as a toy box. Anything that didn't go in a set or have a specific place....went into the toy box. It too was overflowing and constantly a mess. Not to mention it looked terrible! I decided to look for a way to make the toys look better and keep them more discrete. I thought this was perfect:

The only thing I wish was different about it was the drawers were supposed to be pink, green and yellow. As you can see the drawers don't look yellow at all. Even the picture on the package looked yellow! Oh well, we will replace them down the road I guess.


I had my neighbor do a painting for each girl almost a year ago. I absolutely loved the way they turned out, but haven't hung them up yet. I even bought a shelf that I meant to hang above the picture. So months later I finally painted the shelf and we hung them both up. I will be making "Kadence" to go on top of the shelf out of wood letters.

I didn't take a picture of one of my favorite parts of the whole room, Kadence's new bookcase. It is seriously the cutest thing ever! I am going to decorate it with cute little girly things and have books on one shelf. I will take a picture of it when I do Shelbys room. Everything in Shelbys room will be basically the same, just a few minor differences. I'm so happy with the way things turned out and its weird to see a more girly room. She loves it which is the best part!

1 comment:

  1. This turned out so cute. You guys did a great job. I love the toy tote shelf.

    ReplyDelete