Friday, May 30, 2014

Kindergarten Graduation!

I can't believe another school year has come and gone!  I tried to think of something for a teacher gift for the teachers.  I try to make sure it's useful, delicious and can be tossed in the trash when done.  I didn't want to do the same pinterest ideas that everyone else was using so I thought we'd just end up getting treats or gift cards.  I then had a great friend give me a birthday candle made out of a shipping tube that was filled with yummy candy.  I got the idea that I could use the same concept to make a giant pencil and fill it with candy.  I was happy with it and the girls were SO excited to give them to their teachers.  Each girl wrote a very thoughtful and personal thank you note to their teacher as well.  
 Because Kadence is only going half the day, she came with us to celebrate Shelby's last day of Kindergarten.  While we were waiting for all the parents to come, Mrs Cook asked if the children had anything to share.  Shelby was the only one out of the 4-5 kids who stood up to the microphone who actually talked.  She pointed to her sister and explained she just had back surgery and had a rod put in and that is why she could only go to school 2 days a week.  It was sweet of her.
 The kids had fun showing us their favorite songs and dances.  They demonstrated a lot of the knowledge they learned over the past year.  They also had a page of their work put on the smartboard that they read to the class.


 Here's Shelby and her friend Akasha holding hands while they watched a picture video of their classmates through the year.

Mrs. Cook was so kind and took pictures throughout the year.  She made it into a video for herself and to show at the graduation.  She also separated all of the pictures and made each child a DVD with only their own pictures on it. It's fun to see all the pictures of Shelby starting at day one!  Shelby was really happy and super cute until it was time to leave.  She burst into tears because she was so sad.  She told me that she is going to miss Mrs. Cook too much.  I got her calmed down and then we went to get a sno cone to celebrate!  
 Kindergarten got out a day earlier than the rest of the school.  Today was Kadence's last day of 2nd grade.  She wanted to wear a dress and I snapped this picture but it was with my phone and turned out pretty bad.  Oh well, she looked super cute and was excited to go to school. Mrs. Wright let each child pick out 4 books to take home and keep.  She had them displayed all over the floor and they took turns picking a book until they had 4.  Kadence picked one she liked and then for her second book she chose an insect book for her sister Shelby.  She knew Shelby would just love it and I think it's so sweet that they think about each other constantly.  David was sad because of all the kids who were being given books, Kadence was the only one who said thank you.  He was proud of her of course and grateful she remembered her manners but it is sad that it isn't the norm for kids these days.  We hope they thanked Mrs. Wright quietly later.  
It was a successful year and our girls grew so much.  We are so proud of them and how well they get along with others.  They are smart, friendly and well behaved.  They still love school and love learning and I'm so grateful to teachers for helping them to keep that love going.  I wish I could post their end of year test results, but Shelby was gone during testing so she doesn't have any and Kadence was tested all at once in the same day right at lunch time so she actually went down from her mid year scores.  (We don't think we'll count them as being very accurate)  Love these girls and I'm excited for summer and all the fun it will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment