Saturday, May 17, 2014

Ogden Marathon

In October David put into the lottery for a spot to run the half in the Ogden Marathon.  The girls decided they wanted to run too and not just a kid run so we all signed up for the 5K.  I hate to run, but if its something my girls want to do I figured I can suffer through it.  Then we got the news of Kadence's surgery and were sad to know that we would most likely be in the hospital and unable to run.  I asked Jeff if he would run with Shelby if Kadence was still in the hospital and being the greatest uncle ever he said yes.  Luckily we were out, had a great friend let us borrow their jogging stroller and Jeff drove us to the start since we couldn't ride the bus with the stroller.  Nothing was going to keep this family from crossing that finish line!  We had to get up at 3am in order to get David to his shuttle on time.  That meant that we again had to sit in the car for a while before it was our turn to race.  The girls did great!  I felt horrible because I didn't pack them anything to do so they looked through the marathon information packet and played with a batman toy I found in the car.  That entertained them until it was time to go to the start.  Unfortunately it was SO windy and cold at the start and we had to wait there for 45 minutes.  I had grabbed the girls a jacket but forgot one for myself.  I did grab 2 blankets from the trunk of my car to wrap up the girls legs but we were still all so cold.  Luckily it only lasted for the first mile of our race before it was plenty warm.  We had a hard time passing people because people didn't move over to the side to let you pass and there were a ton of people.  It was kind of a bummer because I think we could have had a better time if people didn't get in our way and slow us down.  Oh well, we met 2 out of 3 of our goals:
1-Finish the race
2-Finish in under an hour
3-Finish in 45 minutes
I wanted to make sure the goals were attainable but difficult so we had something to strive for.  I hope my girls can learn how to set good goals as they grow up.  We finished in 49 minutes and the girls felt like rockstars!  They were given a cowbell and we were all given a medal.  I had warned them that 5K's don't give medals so they were extra excited about it.  Plus they got to stop at the Powerade station and also get a Creamie.  Here they are after we finished:
I ran into a friend from work as well as some other friends at the start of the race.  We also ran past Mrs Nix who was Kadence's first grade teacher. When we got to the cheering section for the half marathoners we ran into Cheilah and she snapped a picture of the three of us:
 David didn't train at all for the marathon except for 2-3 short runs while we were in Salt Lake.  I was thinking because of this he would be a little slower than his usual and was thinking he'd come across between 1:45 and 2:00.  Around 1:55 I was starting to get a little worried.  Have no fear, he was ok just a little behind his goal of 2 hours.  He met 2 goals too:
1-Finish the race
2-Run the whole race
He was really hoping to get in under 2:00 but knew he did his best especially without any real training for the race.  I snapped a picture as he ran past us and when I looked at it later I just had to laugh.  He is wearing a florescent shirt and is behind the lady in the pink shorts.  There is no way I could have taken a worse picture of him if I tried!  Oh well, at least we were there to cheer him on.
 After the race we went to Deseret Book and met Grandma and Grandpa Joy.  They wanted to buy Kadence her scriptures as a baptism gift.  She picked a brown quad that snapped closed and got her full name put on them.  She was SO excited.  We then ran to Maverick to change into jeans and then over to MovieGrille to see Mr Peabody with Jeff. When we got to the car after MovieGrille I saw that they had posted on FB saying that if you ran in the races and brought in your number you could get a movie pass for free.  Lucky us!  We got four free movie passes to use another day and the girls are so excited because they love the recliner seats! 
 Here are all our results from the races:



 During the race I told the girls that I would buy them a sno cone after we finished.  They always have sno cones for sale at the end of big races.  I figured we didn't need a sno cone and a creamie so I told them I'd buy them one later.  This was great news because there is a place in Logan called Aloha Snow that has the best sno cones and they put the perfect amount of syrup on them.  
It was a great day and we were all pretty happy with the fact that we finished!! We can't wait until we can all run again so the girls can all run a 5K together.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a blast! Congrats to all of you for finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done Joys! Again I stand in amazement at this wonderful family. You are all so inspiring. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete